"IT FOLLOWS"
2014
Director: David Robert Mitchell
Language: English
Is it on NETFLIX?: Nope. Bummer. Sorry dudes.
The Basics: You bang a stranger and what do you get? Well in this case not quite a STD, but instead the world's slowest moving demon. Think ju-on if she REALLY took her time getting to you. But I'll be damned if the thing ain't persistent. We can all learn something from that I guess.
I'm going to level with you all. This one got to me. Like the first movie that really truly got to me in a while. I am so goddamn happy that this ambient horror aesthetic is in. I FREAKIN' LOVE IT. This is the second horror flick I've seen recently that features Detroit as it's location, the other being "Only Lovers Left Alive". I'm into it. Like reallyyyyy into it. Detroit's backdrop in these movies is much like the New York of movies made in the 70's and 80's. Seemingly lawless, sad and empty feeling, and perfect for the sense of lonely terror that "It Follows" deserved.
It begins with a "Juno"-esque group of friends. The awkwardness of dating, slipping quickly into the realization that the main girl has caught, in my opinion, something FAR WORSE than your run of the mill herpes. The idea of something slowly and consistently making it's way closer, and closer, and closer to you and there is nothing you can do to stop it, that shit is TERRIFYING. It could be anywhere. Like, any time. You can't sleep (well, not for long). Imagine being in the shower at the wrong time? Or on the toilet?? Man, no thanks.
I really like to pretend I'm this wonderful survivalist that would figure a way out of any ghost/slasher/living evil doll situation that could possibly come up. I'm not, but it causes me to always want all the facts. I had a lot of questions for this...demon? Is it a demon? A ghost? Dunno, guess it doesn't matter. I had most of those questions answered in the long run. My questions are as (it) follows. The next part is a kind of SPOILER, so skip if need be:
1. If I get on a plane, how long will it take to catch up?
2. If I cross an ocean, does it walk along the ocean floor? Will fish bump into it?
3. Why is it so often naked....?
4. If it basically can't be killed, why can it (seemingly) be hurt? False sense of security? To freak people out? YA' DID A GOOD JOB OF THAT.
Okay, done with SPOILERS.
I ruin everything with a constant line of questioning.
A lot of these were answered, some were not. When it really comes down to it I was just left with a semi-permanent sense of nervousness. I imagine walking my dog at night and turning around and seeing a figure lumbering toward me, and I actually freak myself out. Standing in my backyard while my dog wizzes on some poor unsuspecting garden, and this movie, weeks later, still has a grip on me. Goddamn you, "It Follows", and your simple manipulation of my fear of the supernatural.
I would easily give this a 4.5 out of 5 stabby knives.
It feels wrong to give anything full marks, but if I was going to this would be on the short list to deserve it.
I would recommend this movie if you're a fan of:
Ambiance and slow suspense. If you are really creeped out by stalkers and "curse" style ghosts this is very similar in mood. If you don't have any desire for much gore to be scared "It follows" is a real winner.
Similar to:
In plot it's kind of like Japanese ghost movies like "Ju-on" or "Black Ghost White Ghost". Newer films like "We Need to Talk About Kevin" and "The Babadook" share its suspense and really attractive cinematography.
No comments:
Post a Comment